Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sean @ the Movies: Scott Pilgrim vs the World


So one of my most anticipated movies of the summer has been finally released, Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I have been waiting for this movie ever since I saw the first trailer. This movie has numerous people who are involved and that I enjoy, Edgar Wright (the director of Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead and Spaced), Michael Cera and Anna Kendrick, so that helped fuel my excitement for this movie. I recently started reading the comic books (written by Bryan Lee O'Malley) it was based on, I am on book 2 of 6, so I still have a little ways to go. But the basic premise is Scott Pilgrim (Cera) lives in Canada and is in a local garage band called Sex Bob-omb, and like most guys, has some major relationship issues, including a very bad break up which seems to always come back and haunt him.He starts off dating a 17 year old high school, but quickly falls in the love with the girl of his dreams, who has some major baggage in the form of 7 evil exes that he must defeat in order to continue to date her.


So with the hype meter being very high going in, would the movie meet those expectations... let's just say that was answered with the opening Universal logo and music that were right out of an 8-bit gaming system. This movie was amazing, it was a great mix of comedy, music, fighting and numerous video games. It was basically a lot like watching a motion comic book with sound words popping up and then every once in awhile they throw in a Street Fighter match in, with some great fight sequences (the Ramona vs Roxy and the final battle of course). Edgar Wright once again blows us away with the great visual style and overall feel of this movie, and it literally looked like the comic book was brought to life, so major kudos to you. I also need to point out that there is also a great supporting class including, Alison Pill as Kim Pine (the band's drummer), Kieran Culkin as Wallace Wells (Scott's gay roomate), Chris Evans as Lucas Lee (one of Ramona's evil exes) and of course I cannot forget about Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Ramona Flowers (Scott and pretty much every geek's new dream girl). And of course considering there is a band involved in the story, also have to point out the great soundtrack and score (by Nigel Godrich) to this movie. Beck supplies most of Scott's band and the band Metric supplies the music for Clash at Demonhead. I honestly think I could go on and on about how much I liked this movie, and it will be somewhere near the top of my favorite movies at the end of the year.


But having said that I would say that this movie is not for everyone and I think there is a pretty simple way to figure out if you will like this movie.


Do you like comic books?


Do you like playing video games, especially fighting games?


Does the sound of 8-bit music bring joy to you?


If you said yes to any of these, I have a feeling you are going to like this movie. I work at a theater and when I was in the theater during the beginning of the movie when the 8-bit Universal logo came up and a few people started cheering, those are people that this movie was made for. But I also wouldn't be surprised if a few people who said no to all of those questions, end up liking the movie. All I know is that I will see this movie a few times, and I will be waiting to watch this on Blu-ray when it comes out.


Official IMDB page:


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446029/


Official page:


http://www.scottpilgrimthemovie.com/


I think that is all for this review, can't really think of any trailers that I need to point out at this time. Hopefully the next movie I will be reviewing will be Piranha 3D.Speaking of 3D, I may try and catch a screening of Step Up 3D, just for the simple fact that it's one of the few movies that uses 3D in the right way and from the various scenes I have scene while at work, it looked pretty cool.


So until next time, go out and see a movie

No comments:

Post a Comment