Sunday, January 9, 2011

127 Hours


Every Second Counts.
Director: Danny Boyle
Release Date: November 12, 2010 (Limited)
Rated: R
Run Time: 94 Minutes
Genre: Adventure/Drama/Biographical

I have been waiting to do my top 10 films of 2010 because of one main movie and that one film was 127 Hours, I may have missed out on a few others that are sure to be on peoples lists(Kings Speech comes to mind right away) I must say Im glad i waited so that i could see this film before setting anything in stone.

127 Hours is the newest film from Danny Boyle who has been on the rise for several years now, Thanks to films like "28 Days Later" and "Slumdog millionaire" among others. He has a way of picking the right film to do, Never seems to repeat himself. His films have jumped from Genre to Genre like Sunshine and The Beach as well as trainspotting. But he always finds away to make the movies his way with his touch. 127 Hours has that Danny feel to it. Greatness?

The movie had insanely high expectations for me with several people listing it as their favorite film or the year or at least on their boards. The feedback from all the press screenings and everything was very good, the talk about "the scene" and how audiences would react was also a nice bit of hype. Along with it being A Boyle film, staring James Franco... I was expecting stunning.

I received Stunning.

Aaron Ralston(Played by James Franco) is one of them crazy outdoorsmen that love adventure and long walks in the canyons. Sadly he forgot to let anyone know he was heading off an one of his crazy journeys. He finds himself stuck in a hard situation to say the least.

This movie does something similar to another film thats among peoples top 10 called "Buried" that has one actor stuck in a situation that he cant seem to escape. This movie does do the flashbacks and what not to bring us out of the trapped situation but it doesn't take away from being in the canyon at all. It just shows the human emotions and what the mind can do to you in extreme situations. It makes us ask our selfs what would we do in this moment.

I never felt that this was just something a writer gave danny to try and turn into a masterpiece, the whole time I was in it. I didnt get taken out of the movie by saying to myself "oh why dont you just do this" the movie has a very real feel to it even with the visions he has during the duration of the film.
The movie needs to be seen. No doubt about that. It is one of the films that I feel needs to be known more than it is. It has plenty of hype in the movie realm of things and Oscar buzz will help it but i still feel like more people should give this movie a try.

I will be buying it once it is out on DVD & Blu ray.
I'll end my little rant here, I hope you can rant about it soon as well.

2 comments:

  1. I almost bought this movie tonight and then decided to just rent it instead...Now I am sad that I just did not buy it. I really enjoyed the movie also. I felt chills and had a real emotional attachment to the character through out the movie. Even while going into it I knew that he was going to make it out, I felt true excitment when he actually did. I even teared up a little. Great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the whole end scene was intense even tho you more or so know what happens(damn true story) you still find yourself attached to the character and oping he makes it out in one piece(haha...sorry) but thats jut incredible film making, i love that last escape.

    ReplyDelete